Your refrigerator leaking can be a real issue in the household and turn into a serious problem if left unfixed. Water leaking from your refrigerator can be caused by several fridge malfunctions, good news is it could be one of the three we mention here. Those you can fix yourself, with the help from Maydone!
Why do you want to fix a leaky refrigerator quickly?
It may not seem like a big issue but left unchecked water can cause a lot of damage to your kitchen and appliances.
- Water damage to your floor
- Water leaks can cause damage to your fridge’s electrical elements
- Mold and other water caused health risks
- Food not cooling enough
- The danger of slipping in your kitchen
To avoid any of these let’s tackle your leaking fridge right now!
First, start with the doors
One of the most common causes of leaky refrigerators is a broken or faulty door seal.
With use and time, the rubber that lines the refrigerator doors becomes worn and can lose its capabilities. This makes sit harder for the temperature seal to occur and causes exterior warmth to enter the fridge create condensation, and leak out water.
Here is what you can do to fix your door seals
- Start by cleaning them. It could be just a case of debris preventing the doors from closing properly.
- If that doesn’t work then get some replacements. Check your fridge model and brand and order them from your local appliance shop.
- Replace the door’s rubber lining and close that problem out of your life!
At Maydone we always use genuine fridge repair parts so we recommend you do the same. It is usually the best fit and quality for your appliance needs.
Second, move on to the drain
One of the other common causes of a leaking fridge is that your drain tube may be frozen and unable to help drain the appliance properly.
When your fridge’s drain tube is clogged you get water spilling from the wrong places and becoming a massive headache for you.
The good news is, it’s a quick fix!
Here is what you can do to fix your drain tube
- Start by defrosting your freezer
- Clean out your fridge while you are at it
- Check your drain tube for clogging or leaks
- Refill your fridge and start it up again
- Or replace your drain tube
Third, check your water valves
Our last common refrigerator leak cause is your water inlet valves. These are usually located at the back of your appliance and handle the supply of water for your water dispenser and ice maker.
One of the best ways to avoid water inlet valve issues is to get your fridge professionally installed by Maydone. Let experts make sure the water supply is clear and properly done to prevent leaky fridges in the future.
Water inlet valves can leak due to debris buildup, wear and tears on the valve, or improper installation.
Here is what you can do to fix your water inlet valves
- Make sure you disconnect the power source to prevent accidents
- Check the back of your fridge for the water inlet valve. You can look at your appliance manual for indications
- Clean out any debris you find. You can clean it by soaking it in water and vinegar mix or using a straw-shaped sponge to scrub the mineral buildup.
- Make sure it has no tears or holes
- If needed, replace it with a new one
If your leak persists, it might be time to call Maydone
These three are the most common reasons for a leaky fridge and manage repairs for most people. However, the issue with your leak could be more serious or require extra work.
If you find none of these tips help, then call your best local appliance repair service. FYI if you’re in Toronto, that’s Maydone!